Community Features

The God and the Gumiho Readalong: Day 5!

Jodie

Beautiful photo by @cosycoffeereader!

Hey fairy friends!

Welcome to our fifth and final day ofΒ The God and the Gumiho readalong! Grab a snack and a coffee of course, and let’s dive in and see what awaits us!

Today we’re reading from Chapter 38 to the end of the book.

When you’ve finished today’s section, catch up with me in the comments down below so we can discuss the ending of the book. Happy reading!

Please be warned, the following section will include spoilers for The God and the Gumiho by Sophie Kim from Chapter 38 to the end of the book. Please only read on if you have finished this section!

-!SPOILERS!-

Β 

15 CUPS OF COFFEE?! And I thought my caffeine intake was bad.

‘He cares for her. Deeply. SO, so deeply.’ I’m tearing up. My guy is going to get his heart broken I can tell.

Hani giving Hyun-tae the daggers Seokga bought for her and saying she has something else she can use… Pleaseeee tell me she isn’t going to use the Scarlet Fox daggers in front of him!

Can’t lie, Hani’s “Oopsies” whilst driving is so relatable.
Of course they can’t just go on a cute little shopping trip, the lights have to start flickering and then go out. Sighhhh. This can’t be good.

Welp, we now have a Plague Demon and I’m sure it looks as gross as it’s name suggests. Hani decides the best way to fight it is to launch coffee bags at it whilst screaming ‘it’s disgusting and to wear a mask.’ Who else would do the same? πŸ˜‚ Eventually, Seokga is able to kill it without either of them being infected by it.

Hani is being eaten alive by guilt now her feelings for Seokga have developed. I’m hoping they somehow come out of this with a happily ever after but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Hyun-tae says he will do anything for Somi – Hani asks him to take her away somewhere Seokga can’t find her and keep her safe until she can come for her.

They plan to track Somi by her scent, with Hani in her fox form, and then hopefully find and kill the Eoduksini. Although it seems like a straightforward plan, I suspect they are underestimating the cunning of this demon…

Finally, they receive a call about fresh bodies and rush to the scene. Hani is perplexed by how Somi could steal so many souls, noting that it’s unnatural even for a gumiho. Is there something more at play here? She transforms into her fox form and tracks Somi’s scent to a decrepit warehouse, suspecting around 30 unrulies inside.

Well the end of chapter 41 has me in tears. Anyone else? πŸ‘€

After the roof collapses, they plunge into the warehouse, surrounded by unrulies. Hyun-tae is nowhere to be seen. Together, Hani and Seokga fight and defeat them all. Seokga wonders why Hani still has so much energy and hasn’t depleted her fox bead. He’s close to discovering her true identity, and I’m not ready for it.

Then, the Eoduksini and Somi arrive, and its identity is finally revealed… It’s HYUN-TAE.What a plot twist, I did NOT see that coming. Did you?

Hyun-tae explains he purposely made them think it was Dok-hyun and killed him. He also hints that Hani is hiding a very big secret, though he doesn’t reveal what it is.

I am a ball of nervous energt right now.He also reveals that his actions are driven by revenge, explaining he was never part of Seokga’s failed coup but was punished for it and locked out of his home. He finally discloses his name: Eodum.

β€˜Out of all the crimes Eodum has committed, throwing away Seokga’s precious caffeine is by far the worst. Violence brews in Seokga’s blood.’ I AM CACKLING at the fact he draws the line at his coffee being thrown away.

Hani and Somi argue, exposing that Hani had been misleading the investigation to protect Somi and had given her livers. Before Seokga can confront Hani, a fight erupts between them. Shortly after, Seokga and Eodum battle, and with most of his power gone, Seokga is nearly defeated. Hani incapacitates Somi and uses the last of her strength to attack Eodum, depleting her fox bead in the process.

As she lies on the ground, death looming, Seokga crawls over to her. Hani then realizes that Eodum is still alive and approaching. In a desperate final plea, she prays to Hwanin, who offers her a bargain: if Seokga kills her (the Scarlet Fox), he will regain half of his lost powers.

Hani takes one of her scarlet daggers, places Seokga’s hand on hers, and drives it through her own heart. NOOOOOO.Seokga, overwhelmed with confusion and grief, feels some of his powers returning. Amidst his turmoil, he finally admits that he had suspected Hani of being the Scarlet Fox for a while.

With some of his power returned, he defeats Eodum.

Hani’s soul and Seokga share a heart-wrenching final goodbye. She asks him to let Somi go and gives him one last, tender kiss before being taken away to Jeosung. Please tell me I’m not the only one bawling my eyes out right now?!In the final chapter, told from Hwanin’s perspective, he agrees to allow Hani to be reincarnatedβ€”whether in a day or years from nowβ€”on the condition that Seokga remains loyal to him. Seokga agrees, and I’ll take that as a happily ever after.

Before we wrap up this readalong, we need to talk about the epilogueβ€”who else is crying (again)?! The red string of fate leading Seokga to reincarnated Hani? It’s the perfect ending! πŸ₯Ί

Wow, what a swoon-worthy, emotional and amazing story!

What did you think of The God and the Gumiho by Sophie Kim?

As always, thank you so much for taking part in another FairyLoot readalong! We hope you had the best time and enjoyed the book – we’ll see you again soon for another!

Love,
Jodie

Conversation

13 Comments

Comment

• Licia Carlesi

Wow what a powerful ending! Not what I was expecting at all! I did predict that Hani would use up her fox bead but I thought Somi would die and Seokga would blame her to save Hani. I also thought maybe Hani would become mortal after killing the demon with all of her power.
    I did love how the ending mirrored the beginning with Seokga and the park and cherry blossoms.
    I was glad to see Hwanin again, I’d read a fan fiction about him πŸ˜‚
    Overall the final chapters were very good and elevated the whole book for me. I would read a sequel if there was one, I enjoyed the ride!

• Jodie

Yesss, the bit with the cherry blossoms again at the end had me bawling! 😭 So happy you enjoyed it! πŸ’œ

• karen.holmes.w

Thank you for hosting the readalong and for picking this book in the first place. I wouldn’t have chosen it on my own but I had a wonderful time reading it!
    It was emotional and very funny in a way.
    I didn’t see Hyun-tae as the demon, that was a complete reversal of expectations but it did made sense once we knew. I was glad Somi didn’t die, but I wanted a moment of forgiveness between the two gumihos.
    I agree the ending mirroring the beginning was a nice touch and that red string of fate was so magical. I wish we could have seen their reunion though.

• esthrane

Finally finished the book πŸ™Œ and my first Fairyloot readalong 😍 when Hyun-tae started acting suspiciously, I knew he was the Eudoksini. But I’m surprised there was nothing about Seokga’s and Hwanin’s father being a bad guy too. The ending was really sweet and perfect. I honestly thought that Seokga would be more pissed at Hani for being the Scarlet Fox. But her sacrifice in the end made up for it. Looking forward to the next readalong!

• Ronan55

A very interesting ending. It was neat to see Hani intentionally plea to Hwanin and make a sacrifice to ensure Seokga’s ascension (re-ascension?) while also making sure that the Eudoksini would be eradicated. I am curious how reincarnation works for this world, like I think Hani will come back in some form, or traces of her will be scattered in the next installment.
    While the book was good, it could have been better in some spots but overall I still enjoyed the story and I want to see more of this world in Book 2.

• Kyanna Jackson

OMIGOSH! I did not see that ending coming. This book was so good! I loved it! I can’t wait for the next readalong!

• Jessica Bunales

I loved this so much! That ending was not what i expected. πŸ’”πŸ˜Ώ Fantastic book selection! Im so hyped for a sequel!!

• dnjreads

What did you think of The God and the Gumiho by Sophie Kim?
    I really enjoyed it, I felt like the beginning was a bit slower and it really picked up towards the end. I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series. I liked the Korean mythology and I’m interested in learning more about it.

• Marilag Angway

I gotta say I absolutely devoured this book once I actually got it started. It played out how I thought it would, but I actually had expected Seogka to stay in Iseung instead of killing the actual Scarlet Fox. Having him kill Hani (with Hani to guide his hand) was just really sad, and I definite shed a tear once Seogka started pleading with his brother. The bargains these two make I swear 😭😭. The ending was fairly hopeful, though, and I’m glad it didn’t end in as big a cliffhanger as I thought. I will definitely want to read the next book!

• sam.manucy

This book had me BAWLING MY EYES OUT!!! Hani was so selfless and truly loved Seokga, she would rather have died than see his life snuffed out by Eodum. I am absolutely feral for the next book, I need to know where that red string leads and if Hani will have any recollection of Seokga, or if their love story will have to start over. He never stopped looking for her, his own found home. Don’t mind me, I’m just crying again. 5/5 stars, would cry again.

Most Recent Stories

Follow Us

Most Recent Stories

Follow Us

Book Announcements

Kiki’s Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono

Shannon

27th September 2024

Read article