Community Features

The Wren in the Holly Library Readalong: Day 4!

Jodie

Amazing photo by @bookishy!

Hello fairies!

Happy Thursday and welcome to day 4 of our readalong of The Wren in the Holly Library by K.A. Linde.Β I’m so excited to be reading this one with you, I hope you’re all loving it as much as I am!

Wow, there was a lot of excitement, tension and of course, grumpiness, in yesterday’s chapters!

Today we’re reading from chapter 37 to the end of chapter 50. Let’s do this!

When you’ve finished today’s section, catch up with me in the comments down below so we can discuss the beginning of the book. Happy reading!

Please be warned, the following section will include spoilers for The Wren in the Holly Library by K.A. Linde from Chapter 37 to Chapter 50. Please only read on if you have finished this section!

–!SPOILERS!–

I really hope we find out what Wren is in today’s chapters, I’m so eager to find out!

She tells Graves about her ‘slow motion’ ability, and every time she brings it up, I can’t help but picture Keanu Reeves in The Matrix. It just makes me love it even more.

We finally discover that Graves is literally a weaponβ€”he can read people by touching them, skimming their thoughts, memories, and deepest desires. Does anyone else get Edward and Bella vibes when he can’t read her mind? I’m absolutely loving this micro trope of her being the only one his magic can’t touch!
Graves decides it’s time to adjust their strategy given her absorption ability. They head to the underworld for reconnaissance, with a straightforward mission: find a way to get her inside and past Walter’s wards. Graves manages to arrange a card for her that, combined with her immunity to the wards, allows her entry. Fortunately, it works like a charm.

After successfully gaining access to the Third Floor, she sets out to find the vampire responsible for taking Torra. Eventually, she tracks him down and discovers that Torra is alive but being forced to work at a vampire brothel. She then decapitates him and honestly? I support it.

Heading to Torra’s workplace, she finally finds her and promises to do everything she can to rescue her. I always knew Torra would make a reappearance in the story, and I’m so relieved she’s alive!

After leaving the Third Floor, she fills Graves in on killing Orik, finding Torra, and their shared history. I love that he supports her decision to take Orik’s head offβ€”that’s true love if I’ve ever seen it.

Stoppppp.Β  Him bringing her her favourite babka. Yep, I love him! πŸ₯Ή

On another trip to the Third Floor, Kierse spots Walter and follows him to a secret exitβ€”exactly what she needed for their plan to succeed. She also discovers that Walter has his own protective shield around him. Interestingggg, he’s definitely more powerful than they thought.

Of course, Lorcan is waiting for her as she exits the Third Floor. She agrees to grab coffee with him to try and extract some information. She lets him think her visits to the Third Floor are job-related, tied to Walter. I’ve got a nagging feeling that Lorcan might be playing her just as much as she’s playing him…

“I’m not exposed when I’m with you.” Oh, our monster is nothing but a big softie really.

Well the cuteness didn’t last very long as things got pretty tense between Kierse and Graves during chapter 47, and
not in a good way..

He discovers her burner phone and that she’s been breaking their agreement by communicating with Nate. When Nate calls, he tells her he’s coming to get her because Ethan and three others are overdosing on a mystery drug. As Kierse leaves, she and Graves have a heated argument.

Kierse and Nate arrive at Five Points to a grim scene. Two of them have shifted into their wolf forms, Cara is near death but hasn’t shifted, and Ethan is in critical condition. The wolves have interrogated everyone they could, but the only clue they’ve uncovered is that the poison is a red powder. Oh no…

Kierse identifies the poison as Imani’s wish powder and realises it’s a targeted attack on Ethan. She quickly uses her magic to absorb the poison from him. Gen joins her, and Kierse discovers they both have a hint of magic.

In excruciating pain, Kierse manages to save Ethan’s life but passes out before she can save Cara. When she wakes up three days later, she informs Gen and Ethan that they all have magic. Now, we have even more questions about magic that need answers!

She informs Gen and Ethan that she’s found Torra and plans to help rescue her from the Third Floor. She also intends to retrieve the spear from King Louis to prevent him from starting another Monster War.

“He’s a monster, but he’s my monster.” OMGGGGG. SO CUTE.

The fact she is able to ward the entirety of Five Points now? Love that for her. I am so excited to find out what else she might be capable of in tomorrow’s reading! πŸ‘€

Ending today’s chapters with tears down my face because Graves is practically heartbroken.

What do you make of Kierse not being a Warlock and her abilities?

Are you glad Torra is alive, but a little nervous as to whether or not it may jeopardise their plans?

Do you suspect Lorcan might be playing her? What do you think he is planning?

Who’s ready for tomorrow’s last section?!Β  See you there, fairies!

Love,
Jodie

Conversation

8 Comments

Comment

• sparks2much

I have no idea what to think about Kierse’s powers except that this “wren” thing keeps coming out and i know its connected to Lorcan and Graves.
    I definitely think that the plan to rescue Torra is going to mess EVERYTHING up. It seems that Lorcan knows more than he’s letting on. Maybe she ends up intertwined in his plans at the end of the book?

• Zanda

Man, I really liked Graves until the β€œyou broke the bargain thing.” That just turned me away from him, and now I don’t want Kierse to go back to him. Maybe if he gives a decent apology though I’ll be able to like him again. I knew Torra was gonna be alive! She’s sketchy though. I feel like a betrayal is coming, maybe she’s working with Louis? I’m really hoping Lorcan is actually on Kierse’s side! She deserves more allies! Could Lorena and Louis be the same person though? It’d be cool if they were!

• Marilag Angway

I trust no one at this point, so Lorcan and Torra have every bit of a chance of mucking up Kierse and Graves’ heist. I figured Kierse wasn’t really a warlock before, so this wasn’t a surprise, but it’s interesting that her power isn’t actually immunity but absorption. Now I’m wondering if this information was passed on to King Louis, especially because now Dr. Mafi is missing. I am so tempted to just read the rest now and finish the book, but it is almost 1 am where I am, so probably not lol.

• ladymeg

Interesting…today I didn’t have to log in like usual and the comment box is not a password box. I’ll put that in my note when I email…

Oh man I was so convinced the poisoned wolves was a lie and this was some plot to get to Kierse, but I love that instead it led to her unlocking her abilities!

Are you glad Torra is alive, but a little nervous as to whether or not it may jeopardise their plans?
    Yep. It’s a real shame they can’t get Torra out and then do the heist, because I feel like one human going missing could be explained away almost negligently.

Still super confused and creeped out by him.

• dnjreads

Now I’m really curious as to what she actually is. I can’t wait to see more of what she can do.

I kind of figured she was going to be alive but that didn’t ruin my enjoyment of actually finding her. Hopefully she is able to help Kierse and pull off the heist and get out.

I feel like Loren’s enjoyment of Kierse has something to do with the stories that graves gave her to read. Maybe they’re both magically tied to her but only one is going to get to have her.

• Seeri

I really like that Kierse is not a Warlock and that she’s finally also using them. I think Torra and Lorcan both will somehow mess the plan, but also Kierse has been said many times that in the end she only thinks about herself, so there might be something we still don’t know about her either. The more this book goes forwards the less I like Graves, so honestly I hope that Kierse won’t end up happily ever after with him

• Ashley Arias

I mean she must be something special, she did ward all of five points and save Ethan.

Yes, definitely nervous. Torra can be used against her, she is a weakness that could make everything fall apart.

I believe he must be tied to Imani or King Louis, maybe all three of them are tied together because they hate graves /:

Who’s ready for tomorrow’s last section?!
    I a going to try to finish it tonight, the week got away from me but I am loving it. Poor Graves )): he deserves to be seen and loved and Kierse does.

• Lisa Spanu (@lisashelves)

1. What do you make of Kierse not being a Warlock and her abilities?
    It was to be expected, I always believed/suspected she wasn’t a Warlock.
    2. Are you glad Torra is alive, but a little nervous as to whether or not it may jeopardise their plans?
    I am glad she is alive, but don’t believe she whill jeopardise their plans. I actually think she will serve as another motivator to succeed
    3. Do you suspect Lorcan might be playing her? What do you think he is planning?
    He is definitely playing her, but I don’t know quite yet what he is planning. Maybe he also wants the spear or just wants her?

Most Recent Stories

Follow Us

Most Recent Stories

Follow Us

Book Announcements

Kiki’s Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono

Shannon

27th September 2024

Read article