Community Features

The Wren in the Holly Library Readalong: Day 5!

Jodie

Beautiful photo by @myfriendsarefiction!

Hey fairy friends!

Welcome to our fifth and final day of The Wren in the Holly Library by K.A. LindeΒ readalong! Grab a snack and a drink, and let’s dive in and see what awaits us!

Today we’re reading from Chapter 51 to the end of the book.

When you’ve finished today’s section, catch up with me in the comments down below so we can discuss the ending of the book. Happy reading!

Please be warned, the following section will include spoilers for The Wren in the Holly Library by K.A. Linde from Chapter 51 to the end of the book. Please only read on if you have finished this section!

–!SPOILERS!–

We kick off our final day of reading with Kierse returning to Graves’ residence and I’m on the edge of my seat!

Luckily for us (and Kierse), he answers and lets her in. They sit down, and she explains why she had to keep in contact with Nate as a backup in case anything went wrong. She finally admits that, although this was just a job at first, it’s now more to her. He’s gone from being a stranger to a friend to something more. Eeeeekkkk!

She also tells him what happened with Ethan and the wolves, as well as her magic.

β€œWe’re better together.” Well, I’m taking that to mean they’re now together. I refuse to take it any other way.

We learn more about Graves’ past: born a monster, his mother died in childbirth, and his father blamed him. At six, his father sold him off, but he eventually escaped and went to Ireland to find his mother’s kin. This is likely where he met Lorcan and the Druids, though their history remains a mystery…

Graves smelling like leather and new books is so on brand for him. I wish I could bottle that scent up!
😍

When Kierse had been overwhelmed by Imani’s magic, Graves could read her and saw what Jason had done to her. I like how they’ve both learnt pieces of one another’s history/pain, giving them a deeper understanding of each other.

Anyone else shocked at how old Graves actually is? I expected him to be a couple hundred years old maybe, but not 500. I am SHOOK.

The time for their heist has finally arrived and I am SO nervous. Kierse enters King Louis’s party disguised as a new girl working at the vampire brothel alongside Torra. After entering, she meets up with Graves and their plan is finally set in motion.

King Louis finally enters the party with Walter and they notice that Walter has some kind of protective shield around both of them. Well it’s a good job that won’t get in Kierse’s way!

Of course something would go wrong straight away, sighhh. Dr. Mafi appears behind them with a gun to Graves’ back, accusing him of being there to kill her. Eventually, they calm her down enough to go into a room and talk. Dr. Mafi tells them she was blackmailed by King Louis to find monsters with magical components in their blood which would make him stronger. I have a bad feeling he may have been keeping tabs on Kierse during her recon.

Arriving at the vault, they end up fighting two vampires and eventually kill them. Kierse then begins figuring out the lock and breaking the wards. However, when Kierse finally enters the vault Graves yells at her to get out of there but the door suddenly shuts and someone knocks her unconscious.

No one’s coming to help her… King Louis has her trapped. It takes a while for Kierse to realise Graves isn’t coming, but once she does she vows to save herself! Yaaaas! “Surely one little girl can’t wield the Spear of Lugh”. Oh Louis, you clearly don’t know Kierse! She makes quick work of decapitating him and NOW Graves appears. You couldn’t have come quicker?

Damnnnn. Kierse is piecing it altogether! Graves is the Holly King… and she’s the Wren from his story. You’d think she’d have caught on sooner with his library covered in holly and his nickname for her. Panicking, Kierse realises she’s a bad omen and asks him why he’d work with her. He simply says it was a gamble worth taking, although he didn’t mean to fall for her. Cute!

He shows her the truth sword, they have two out of four now! The excitement’s short lived, though. The wards are down – Lorcan’s here.

Graves has kept things from her. He uses the truth sword to uncover her form. She’s a wisp. Wisps are capable of killing warlocks. Was Graves threatened? He knew for a while!

So she’s a fae, and she realises the spear actually rightfully belongs to her. A battle ensues, with Ethan and Gen caught in it too. Kierse… explodes? That can’t be good?

From head to toe, she’s coated in God magic. It was meant for Graves. I can’t deal with him begging her not to die. “You have to herald spring” least of her worries right now, Graves! It takes a lot, but Kierse finally manages to start transferring the power over once Graves shows her the memory that her smell reminds her of. Is that cute or is it giving Edward Cullen?

It’s a miracle!!! Kierse is ok, phew!

We’ve also learnt now that Ethan is a Druid, and Gen is a High Priestess. Is NO ONE human???

Kierse commands Lorcan away, but not before he calls her the pulse of his heart.

She’s leaving to get answers. Understandable, I’d want them too! Despite their hatred for one another, Lorcan and Graves both tell her to start her search in the same place which is kinda funny!

Graves does ask her to stay – but she can’t. Instead they depart on a note that what they had was real, and that Kierse isn’t quite done with the city just yet.

In one final interlude, we see that Graves has located the cauldron, magical object number three, and he’s going to need a clever thief to get it!

Wow, what an action packed, intense and romantic story!

What did you think of The Wren in the Holly Library by K.A. Linde?
How do you feel about Ethan going to train with Lorcan? Do you think it’s the right decision?
What do you think Kierse will do next? πŸ‘€

As always, thank you so much for taking part in another FairyLoot readalong! We hope you had the best time and enjoyed the book – we’ll see you again soon for another!

Love,
Jodie

Conversation

7 Comments

Comment

• Zanda

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book! This wasn’t one I would’ve picked up if I hadn’t gotten it in the subscription, so I’m surprised at how much fun I had while reading this! My one complaint was that Kierse was the one to apologize instead of Graves! Like come on that was her family, she’s not gonna just abandon them!! I don’t think it’s a good idea for Ethan to go train with Lorcan. Lorcan is all over the place, and I’m sure that in the next book he will try and use Ethan to get to Kierse. I’m excited for Kierse to learn more about who she is in the next booK! Hoping we get to see more Gen and Ethan too, since despite their importance to Kierse we didn’t get a whole lot of them in this book.

• ladymeg

I mostly liked it but I felt that it was weird that there was a whole thing between Kierse and Graves about not abandoning each other and then they go separate ways in the end nonetheless.

How do you feel about Ethan going to train with Lorcan? Do you think it’s the right decision?
    Please don’t put Ethan and Kierse on opposing sides in the future please please please!

Probably something impossible. XD

• Marilag Angway

It got really wild there for a hot minute, especially the events in Third Floor! I kind of wished there were more heist-like ventures, especially with Graves and Kierse involved. I feel like they really work off each other, so I’m a little sad that they’ve parted ways for the present. I personally wasn’t a fan of Kierse’s friends tbh, so them doing their thing is just eh, go be you, bro. I never really liked Lorcan, though, but I suppose he’s going to show up again later, especially if Graves is still gunning for the four artifacts. I definitely think Kierse is headed to Ireland to find information about herself, but so will Graves, probably to look for the cauldron next. We’ll have to see I guess!

• dnjreads

I loved this book. I was actually surprised by the big reveals and I always love when a book does that. The romance between the two of them was amazing and I need them to end up together. I also really enjoyed the ending. It kept me interested the whole time and I’m really excited for the next one.

Unfortunately I do think it is the right decision for Ethan but at the same time I hope Lorcan doesn’t pull him over to his side and then when Gen and Kierse get back they all end up having issues.

I’m so excited for her to go off and find out all about her powers and what she is. Maybe there will be more of her kind that she finds and she isn’t the last one. I’m excited that Gen is going with her and also has powers of her own to learn about, and I can’t wait to see what they get up to.

• Ashley Arias

I loved it! A great mix of urban fantasy with some celtic mythology history, so so good!

It was his decision to make, though I think the three of them should have stuck together. Though Lorcan will train him and treat him right due to whatever ties he has with Kierse.

Learn her history, who shes is, the power she holds. Use it to protect everyone, monsters and humans.

• Lisa Spanu (@lisashelves)

1. What did you think of The Wren in the Holly Library by K.A. Linde?
    I really enjoyed it!
    2. How do you feel about Ethan going to train with Lorcan? Do you think it’s the right decision?
    I don’t really know what to think of it, since I don’t trust Lorcan and don’t want him to use Ehtan to try and force Kierse later on.
    3. What do you think Kierse will do next? πŸ‘€
    She’ll go explore and hopefully learn more about her origin and powers!

• Stephanie Otting

I was really hooked in the first half of this book. Then sadly the book started to feel rushed and started to miss some key parts to make the book flow.
    Overall, I was just trying to finish it by the last quarter and I feel “blagh” from it.
    Is doesn’t scream “adult romance” either. I got a small spicy chapter but it was definitely lacking.
    It felt like a young adult fantasy and was placed in a adult category due to some more mature content like brothels and human trafficking.

Overall, I would rate this book a 2.5/5.

Most Recent Stories

Follow Us

Most Recent Stories

Follow Us

Book Announcements

Kiki’s Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono

Shannon

27th September 2024

Read article